Friday 13 January 2012

Recording for Austism

I had a great experience today as I helped with the recording for SMARTER's jingle that is to be aired on Kristal FM. I hope more tickets can be sold for the upcoming SMARTER play called 'Oddy's Quest 2: A Journey In Search Of A Home'. It is to be held at the Indera Samudera Grand Hall, Empire Hotel and Country Club on the 21st of January 2012, 7.30pm. I'm kind of advertising here as well.

Previously, I did not bother in trying to understand what Autism is. I have heard of it, but I am not sure what it is exactly. Its a pity that I am ignorant to these things in life that is happening to others. I salute to the people who have worked hard in trying to help others who have conditions 'we perceive' as not normal. May be it Autism, or mental illness, poverty, Obesity, disabled and many more. Having one individual is not enough in trying to help others that is in need. I believe all of us should try to at least do something to help the needy. After years of living my life, I thought it was just me climbing up that ladder, but after today, the vision that I used to have in reaching a certain target or position in life is just purely on the basis of my own wants and needs. I have not thought of others that needs care and attention. In the past, I did some fieldwork with  lecturers in UBD mostly on poverty and well being, but this is the first time that I worked individuals with medical conditions. What touches me the most is that they are still children, and they need adults support, supervision and that special care and attention. 

There was a mixed feelings inside me when I worked with the children with Autism. I felt sad and touched at the same time. I am sad because these kids are really adorable, but with the conditions they have, people who do not understand them may start to say and give a negative impression on them. I am touched because with all these negative vibes around them, they actually did a far more greater job than I did on the recordings. They are far more capable than what we think. We just have to give them the chance to show what they can do. Quoting the Transformers movie "There's more than meets the eye".

I am grateful to Ayla, my lecturer to give me the opportunity to work with the children. It has been a great experience for me, and it is an eye opening for me that there is more to life. I hope someday, I can be more of a help for those people who are in need. I will start with small and simplest things now, and make my way up on to the big things.

3 comments:

  1. If you want to borrow the book by Happe on autism, I can lend it to you. You've probably got lots of other things you need to read; but if you want to find out more abotu autism, it's an intersting topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hakeem, :) The kids, teachers,care givers,Ayla,Kok Wai and myself can't thank you enough for helping with the recording :) We're very happy we got the message of autism awareness across. A lot of people funnily ran away from our sales booth at CLT today. And the recording's done Can't wait to hear it soon on KFM!
    Regards, Diana :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for the book that you recommended. I will borrow the book from you next time.

    ReplyDelete